[R-sig-Debian] Configure error: checking if libcurl supports https... no --- SOLVED

Tue Aug 31 23:41:31 CEST 2021

Rolf,

Glad you're sorted out, and I concur in the thanks to Ivan (and Johannes and
other who patiently helped).

To me, the take-away message is that /usr/local wins generally, not just in
your $PATH (or, say, in R's library path) but also for configure and friends
so ... it opens the door for shooting both your feet off.  And I concur on
'fervent devotee of the "sudo apt-get install" paradigm' as that is better
and cleaner. And allows uninstalling !

As mentioned, Docker is also good.  Read up on it.  It makes for a /great/
way to experiment without side effects.  You can install (and run, and if you
want persist in a container) things while leaving your outer system alone.
Lots of tutorials out there.

Best,  Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org