[R-sig-Debian] Configure error: checking if libcurl supports https... no

Johannes Ranke joh@nne@@r@nke @end|ng |rom jrwb@de
Sun Aug 29 13:25:34 CEST 2021

Am Sonntag, 29. August 2021, 11:01:43 CEST schrieb Rolf Turner:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:16:16 +0200
>
> Johannes Ranke <johannes.ranke using jrwb.de> wrote:

> > You can try
> >
> > $ sudo apt build-dep r-base
> >
> > to pull in all build dependencies specified by Dirks R debs, and try
> > again.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I did
>
>    sudo apt build-dep r-base
>
> as instructed.

I assume this pulled in some unrelated packages. As you do not mention any
output, I assume there was no error.

> I then noticed that I could not run R --- got a "permission denied"
> error.  So I next did:

> P.S. Clearly there must be something broken in my system, but how on
> earth do I track down what's wrong?

One reason for what you see could be that you have previously compiled and
installed curl from source (which will also build and install libcurl), and
this local installation does not have ssl support.

One check that I can think of is to run

$ which curl

which returns

/usr/bin/curl

if you only have the Ubuntu package installed.

Johannes