[R-sig-Debian] Configure error: checking if libcurl supports https... no

Johannes Ranke joh@nne@@r@nke @end|ng |rom jrwb@de
Sun Aug 29 10:16:16 CEST 2021

Hi,

for what it's worth, on a Debian bullseye system, configuring the R 4.1.0
tarball works fine:

$ wget https://cran.r-project.org/src/base/R-4/R-4.1.0.tar.gz
$ tar xf R-4.1.0.tar.gz
$ cd R-4.1.0/
$ ./configure

checking if libcurl supports https... yes

with libcurl4 and libcurl4-gnutls-dev installed. I believe this should also
work on Ubuntu.

You can try

$ sudo apt build-dep r-base

to pull in all build dependencies specified by Dirks R debs, and try again.

Johannes