[R-sig-Debian] Keep Downloading R 3.6.3 on Linux Mint 20.1

E Tam edt1996 @end|ng |rom y@hoo@com
Thu Apr 22 05:49:01 CEST 2021

To whom it may concern,
 I have been trying forever to get R installed on a computer running Linux Mint 20.1, but nothing works. I went to CRAN (https://mirrors.nics.utk.edu/cran/) and followed all of the instructions, but it installed R 3.6.3! This would not be a problem since I only need to do some relatively simple things, except every library has updated to R 4.0 and nothing from 3.6 can be used with 4.0, and vice versa. I can use base R just fine in RStudio, but any attempts to downloads libraries fail.

I asked for help on the Linux Mint Forums (https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=347119&p=2005975#p2005975), but we did not make a lot of progress. What we figured out what that on the official instructions, they are missing a step. [sudo apt-update] needs to be run after [add-apt-repository ppa...]. I also needed to run [apt-get update --allow-insecure-repositories], but I have no idea why CRAN's repository would not be secure. Adding these steps gets me the error,
Err:5 https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu ulyssa-cran40/ Packages
  404  Not Found [IP: 13.249.183.20 443]
Any help figuring this out will be much appreciated.

From,        -E