[R-sig-Debian] Sometimes commands do not terminate after upgrading to R 4.0 and Ubuntu 20.04

Wed May 13 15:46:14 CEST 2020

On 13 May 2020 at 15:25, Adrien FABRE wrote:
| Thank you very much Dirk!

De rien!

| Le mer. 13 mai 2020 à 14:59, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> a écrit :
|

| > Salut Adrien,
| >
| > It appears to be a bad OpenMP and and OpenBLAS interaction you can (for
| > now)
| > avoid) by replacing the 'pthread' variant of OpenBLAS with the OpenMP
| > version
| > (see the thread for details).  Doing
| >
| >   sudo apt install  libopenblas-openmp-dev
| >   sudo apt remove libopenblas-pthread-dev
| >

| This works! Thank's a lot!
|
| should do -- make sure you do the second step too to ensure that the pthread
| > variant is remove as it would rank higher. Check via `R -s -e
| > 'sessionInfo()'`
| > and look closely at the path printed for blas+lapack. Without pthread you
| > should be good.
| >

| The command yields:
| BLAS:   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/blas/libblas.so.3.9.0
| LAPACK: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas-pthread/liblapack.so.3
| so pthread still seems there in LAPACK, but I think the bug solved
| nonetheless.

That was *not* my experience, and hence the recommendation to remove
it. Maybe my command was wrong above.  Consider

  sudo apt remove libopenblas-pthread-dev libopennlas0-pthread

as more focussed. My bad.

| > Seb, CC'ed, and who is I have that right ma actually pretty close to you
| > via
| > the PSE, is actually looking for someone with the proper hardware to
| > create a
| > proper bug report. I was able to reproduce this once on my systems (both
| > Ubuntu and Debian testing) but was unable later. Some hardware dependence
| > still likely.
| >

| What a small world! Happy to help with a bug report: how can I do that?

I would start with 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'. Maybe we should take this off-list.

To confirm, you are on Ubuntu though?  Would be good to have this on Debian
testing.

| > So in short: yes, we're aware, there is a workaround, but we could use help
| > in pinning it down. And sorry for the trouble. Apparently an old bug
| > reborn.
| >
| > Amicalement,  Dirk
| >
| > PS Am a AMSE grad myself though it had a different name at the time ;-)
| >
| Great, happy to see that economists can also code!

At last some competition for all the monkeys with typewriters.

Cheers, Dirk