[R-sig-Debian] Sometimes commands do not terminate after upgrading to R 4.0 and Ubuntu 20.04

Adrien FABRE |e@gr@|n@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed May 13 15:25:57 CEST 2020

Thank you very much Dirk!

Le mer. 13 mai 2020 à 14:59, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> a écrit :

> Salut Adrien,
>
> It appears to be a bad OpenMP and and OpenBLAS interaction you can (for
> now)
> avoid) by replacing the 'pthread' variant of OpenBLAS with the OpenMP
> version
> (see the thread for details).  Doing
>
>   sudo apt install  libopenblas-openmp-dev
>   sudo apt remove libopenblas-pthread-dev

This works! Thank's a lot!

should do -- make sure you do the second step too to ensure that the pthread
> variant is remove as it would rank higher. Check via `R -s -e
> 'sessionInfo()'`
> and look closely at the path printed for blas+lapack. Without pthread you
> should be good.

The command yields:
BLAS:   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/blas/libblas.so.3.9.0
LAPACK: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas-pthread/liblapack.so.3
so pthread still seems there in LAPACK, but I think the bug solved
nonetheless.

> Seb, CC'ed, and who is I have that right ma actually pretty close to you
> via
> the PSE, is actually looking for someone with the proper hardware to
> create a
> proper bug report. I was able to reproduce this once on my systems (both
> Ubuntu and Debian testing) but was unable later. Some hardware dependence
> still likely.

What a small world! Happy to help with a bug report: how can I do that?

> So in short: yes, we're aware, there is a workaround, but we could use help
> in pinning it down. And sorry for the trouble. Apparently an old bug
> reborn.
>
> Amicalement,  Dirk
>
> PS Am a AMSE grad myself though it had a different name at the time ;-)

Great, happy to see that economists can also code!