[R-sig-Debian] Advice on article about installing R on Linux

Sat Mar 28 15:57:54 CET 2020

On 28 March 2020 at 14:04, Robin Lovelace wrote:
| To the list this time...
|
| On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 2:03 PM Robin Lovelace <rob00x using gmail.com> wrote:
|
| > Hi Dirk,
| >
| > Thanks for the quick response.
| >
| > I've updated the draft post following your suggestions, see the updated
| > version, in nice .md format, here:
| > https://github.com/geocompr/geocompr.github.io/blob/installing-on-linux/content/post/2020/installing-r-spatial-packages-linux.md
| >
| > Any better? I think so! The key bit for eoan users is this:
| >
| > sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu eoan-cran35/'
| > sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E298A3A825C0D65DFD57CBB651716619E084DAB9
| > sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/c2d4u3.5
| > sudo apt update
| > sudo apt install r-base-dev r-cran-sf r-cran-raster r-cran-tmap
| >
| > Following your suggestion I have created a Dockerfile to test this:
| > https://github.com/Robinlovelace/geocompr/blob/master/docker/ubuntu-eoan/Dockerfile

Sounds good.  Should there also be a version for bionic as LTS may be more
widespread?  Personally I am with you as I also run 19.10 -- but if you were
to offer 18.04 then 18.04 + 18.10 + 19.04 + 19.10 users could run it. Seems
better, no?

| > (Taken with credit from your rocker project work.)
| >
| > Unfortunately it fails with the following message:
| >
| > W: GPG error: https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu eoan-cran35/
| > InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public
| > key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 51716619E084DAB9
| > E: The repository 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu
| > eoan-cran35/ InRelease' is not signed.
| >
| > Any ideas? I've tried various combinations mentioned here but not luck
| > yet: https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/#secure-apt

I think you are actively importing key 'A' and it tells you it is missing key
'B' where A != B.  See e.g.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10255082/installing-r-from-cran-ubuntu-repository-no-public-key-error

| > Regarding Fedora, didn't know that. Is this the message you're referring
| > to? https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/iucar/cran/

Yep!

Dirk

| > I will add that link to this section if so:
| > https://github.com/geocompr/geocompr.github.io/blob/installing-on-linux/content/post/2020/installing-r-spatial-packages-linux.md#3-installing-geographic-r-packages-on-other-linux-operating-systems
| >
| > All the best,
| >
| > Robin
| >

| > On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 12:46 PM Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:
| >

| >> Hi Robin,

| >> |
| >> correct,
| >> |

| >> | echo 'deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu eoan-cran35/' |
| >> sudo
| >>
| >> The cool kids all use a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ now look in
| >> yours.  The you can just copy and/or shell redirect.

| >> I never remember if apt-add-repository works with this too.

| >> |
| >> able
| >> thinking
| >> |

| >> And you could mention the Rutter PPA here -- another 4k binary packages!

| >> operating
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> https://github.com/geocompr/geocompr.github.io/blob/installing-on-linux/content/post/2020/installing-r-spatial-packages-linux.Rmd
| >>
| >> We could/should also shout out to Fedora who now have a repo with all
| >> (!!) of
| >> CRAN (!!) as per a recent email by Inaki "somewhere" (r-devel?
| >> r-pkg-devel?)

| >> It's good. Sorry for not responding sooner. The raw Rmd was hard to read;
| >> tend to just push .md to GitHub (when I have R-code free writeups like
| >> this
| >> which is almost all of them) as that is always rendered to read.
| >>
| >> Dirk

| >> |
| >> |
| >> |