[R-sig-Debian] Docker build issue

Mon Jun 22 20:06:18 CEST 2020

On 22 June 2020 at 19:37, Johannes Ranke wrote:
| sorry, I do not understand half of this, as I do not use docker myself. Buf if
| Dirk does not use Debian buster as the basis for his Rocker container, then
| you should probably not try to install the backport to buster. Shouldn't these
| docker containers be there to avoid the need to install R?

That is what they do, and do well! After I update Debian's R to 4.0.2 this
morning, I also updated the (base) Rocker container giving you R 4.0.2 easily.

The error, if any, and as I see it, is with Dave who assumed one can blindly
mix distros, releases and whatnot.  He appears to have started from buster and
then copied and pasted my Dockerfile "recipe" which a) assumes testing and b)
allows itself to pull brandew R (as today) from unstable.

This is getting off topic here. In essence Dave just needs a patient Docker
tutor.  Sadly I don't have time for that right now -- sorry!