[R-sig-Debian] read.csv fails in R console in Ubuntu terminal but works in RStudio after R 3.6.3 upgrade to R 4.0.2

Thu Jul 16 05:33:56 CEST 2020

On 15 July 2020 at 19:15, David Winsemius wrote:
| (It does leave hanging the question of why `read.csv` is failing.)

If I had to guess: due to the dark magic behind download.file() and the
numerous different ways it could use (see the help page, it is truly
impressive!) some of which involve `libcurl` (i.e. the C library from the
curl project), some involve `curl` (the package for R), some involve `wget`
(the binary), some involve internal code -- plus all that can cross with the
SSL libraries use by curl and whatnot.

Which is why my post suggested to separate the _download_ from the _file
read_ aspect.

https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org