[R-sig-Debian] CRAN R 4.0.0 for Ubuntu repos missing r-recommend dependency

Tue Apr 28 05:10:46 CEST 2020

Hi Greg,

On 28 April 2020 at 12:05, Greg Siemon wrote:
| I noticed that R 4.0.0 is now available for ubuntu on CRAN. I attempted to
| do a clean install on 18.04 using:
|
| sudo apt install r-base
|
| after adding
|
| deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu bionic-cran40/
|
| to /etc/apt/sources.list.
|
| Unfortunately, apt reports that r-recommend is a dependency and it won't be
| installed. Upon inspecting the R4.0 repos r-recommend is missing not only
| for bionic but also for xenial and focal. It is exists for the 3.5 Repos
| and seems to exist in the Debian R4.0 variants. Perhaps it was missed or is
| it still syncing across?

Thanks for catching that. It is likely a simple oversight which Michael will
fix shortly as the package does get created.

In the meantime you can try to not install 'r-base' but just 'r-base-core' in
order avoid r-recommended. Or you could try to manually inject it from my ppa.
or even add that PPA for a day or two:

   https://launchpad.net/~edd/+archive/ubuntu/r-4.0

This PPA should probably not be used instead of the CRAN mirrored one run by
Michael but may help you in this current situation.