[R-sig-Debian] Local repo for ubuntu including R

George N. White III gnw||| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Feb 19 22:43:00 CET 2019

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 11:05, Göran Broström <goran.brostrom using umu.se> wrote:

> Background:
>
> We have a computer lab with two ubuntu 18.04 machines (and lots of
> windows computers) and I am searching for a convenient way to keep the
> machines up-to-date regarding R in the first place, but also ubuntu
> itself. The problem is that the lab is isolated from the internet.
>
> Some versions of ubuntu ago I had success with apt-mirror and apt-get
> for the OS, but now I cannot get it to work. In my search for help on
> the internet I have come to the conclusion that there is something wrong
> with apt-mirror nowadays.

Yours is a common use-case, but "I cannot get it to work" doesn't help
anyone understand what is broken.  Since apt-cache is available as
an 18.04 package, you should report the bug to Ubuntu maintainers.

> Question:
>
> What is the best and simplest way to keep the ubuntu machines up-to-date
> regarding OS and R with the apt/apt-get approach?  Alternatives to
> apt-mirror?
>
> Thanks, Göran

George N. White III