[R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu 18.04 bionic: availability of R Ubuntu packages/ppa?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Sun May 6 01:02:12 CEST 2018

Salut Matthieu,

On 5 May 2018 at 15:29, Matthieu S wrote:
| I just upgraded to the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and tried to add both the "Ubuntu
| packages" source as well as ppa. I was not able to do this, trying to add
| for example:
|
| deb http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/linux/ubuntu bionic/
| or using: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/c2d4u
|
| am I doing something wrong, or just being impatient? Are there any plans to
| build these repos in the near future?

Yes, yes, and yes.  ;-)

This has been discussed here before, maybe just scroll back through the
archives if you want to catch up.

Michael has R 3.5.0 itself for bionic:

    https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/ubuntu/rrutter3.5

and a new '3.5' next to one you used above:

    https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/ubuntu/c2d4u3.5

None of this is 'ready' yet in the sense of being mirrored to CRAN. That
said, and because he is awesome, that last repo is already at 400+ packages.

"Eventually" it should cover the other LTS variants.

| Big thanks to the maintainers for the great work :-)

Thanks, we try. Not too much infrastructure that we have built so these
transitions can be slow.  On my side, Debian has one schedules but not yet
started.  And on my own Ubuntu machines, I converted one to R 3.5 with those
binaries from rrutter3.5 -- but us mostly direct-from-CRAN-sources
installation.  The machine I am typing this on is still at 17.10 and R 3.4.4,
as is my Travis use.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org