[R-sig-Debian] Problem with Ubuntu bionic R 3.5

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Mon Jun 18 20:01:00 CEST 2018

On 18 June 2018 at 18:38, Ulrich Leuchtmann wrote:
| Hi Michael.
|
| I fear I'm becoming a pain in your back. Sorry.
|
| The problem with the "Components" and "Suite" name in the "InRelease"
| file for bionic-cran35 has been solved. *Many thanks for that.* However,
| "sudo apt-get install r-base" creates an error message (again here the
| German version):
|
| ulrich using linuxdesktop:~$ sudo apt-get install r-base
| Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
| Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
| Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
| Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
| Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
| Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
| nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
| Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:
|
| Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
|   r-base : Hängt ab von: r-recommended (= 3.5.0-1bionic) soll aber nicht
| installiert werden
| E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene
| defekte Pakete.
|
| That's something new. I know, I could probably solve this problem by
|
|      sudo apt-get install r-base r-recommended

That is normal.

r-base does not depend on r-recommended, but suggests it.

r-recommended however does depend on a given version of R, and apt just tells
you that _given that you have r-recommended installed_ it can not upgrade
r-base. As such your request of 'install me just r-base, please' was not
satisfiable.

I keep forgetting which of the two deals smoothly with it, but between
'apt-get dist-upgrade' and 'apt-get update' one does; I think it is the
former which I use way more.

Hth, Dirk

| But somehow I am puzzled that r-base now _depends_ on r-recommended. Is
| that the way it is supposed to be now? In this case I think the
| installation instruction on CRAN would need to get updated. Or is this
| an error in the dependencies?
|
| Best regards
|
| Uli
|

| Am 17.06.2018 um 03:33 schrieb Michael Rutter:
| >

| > On 06/16/2018 09:22 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >>
| >> Ulrich,

| >> |

| >> The Ubuntu side of things is mostly Michael's work.
| >>   | I know this is perhaps a minor issue, as users report they can
| >> install
| >> |
| >> |