[R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu issue with 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Alison Smith @li@mith @ending from uow@edu@@u
Tue Jul 24 01:26:04 CEST 2018

Dear Dirk (other users and Dave)

PART 1
I finally was able to install R.3.5.1, however, I had to invoke the following

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E084DAB9

As this skin of Ubuntu 18.04 (Peppermint) does not seem to allow access to the bionic-cran35 repository unless this key is set and added to the system.
This is odd - well for me anyway, as for other skins of Ubunto say 16.04 (Peppermint) I do not have to do this, though when I do sudo apt-get update it does complain bitterly about the key not being validated but continues?

Perhaps this would be a useful addition to the install notes on the R webpage.
Just a thought - unless I have done something really silly.

PART 2
On another related matter. (If I may beg for assistance)
I am a co-developer of an R package which is alas not open source - even I require a license key.
There is some setting which is stopping the Peppermint browser from allowing the RLM to access the session in R
See screenshot and also the page below for the way to install

https://www.vsni.co.uk/resources/vsni-new-licensing

If this is too much to ask for any ideas to work around then please ignore
thanks again
Brian (not Alison Smith- I am married to Alison and assisting with her IT matters)

Regards
Alison

Alison Smith
Principal Research Fellow
National Institute for Applied Statistics Research Australia (NIASRA)
School of Mathematics & Applied Statistics
Faculty of Engineering & Information Sciences
Building 39C Room 261
University of Wollongong NSW 2522
M: 0417 947 115
E: alismith using uow.edu.au