[R-sig-Debian] Segfault on ubuntu 18.04

George N. White III gnwiii @ending from gm@il@com
Sat Jul 7 17:13:30 CEST 2018

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 at 07:52, Göran Broström <goran.brostrom using umu.se> wrote:

> On 2018-07-07 06:27, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> >
> > On 7 July 2018 at 00:51, Göran Broström wrote:
> > | My repo is
> > |
> > | deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu bionic-cran35/
> > |
> > | Is that wrong?
> >
> > That repo will give you R and key R packages like Matrix lme4.  (And you
> > chose to ignore this repo by compiling R yourself ...).
>
> Not really: I installed r-base and r-base-dev from "My repo", but ignored
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/c2d4u3.5/ubuntu bionic main
> # deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/c2d4u3.5/ubuntu bionic main
>
> because I thought it was easier to handle the rest via install.packages()

There can be benefits to using "install.packages()" when distro packages
for supporting libraries can't be used (too old or built without some needed
configuration option for some other software you need).

> I was wrong. After reinstalling all extra packages via apt and
> "c2d4u3.5", all my problems have vanished (or been swept under the
> carpet;), no segfaults. Many thanks!

This issue caught my interest because I often have to deal with conflicts
encountered by people using multiple "big" packages that rely on upstream
libraries such as libcurl, gdal, hdfN, netcdf, etc. with R and other
"mission
critical" apps supplied by ESA and NASA.   Ubuntu 18.04 has been
problematic, so I tried to reproduce your problem (using the WSL version
of
Ubuntu 18.04) and failed to see the problem.

I installed the R curl package from source using the base packages from:

deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu bionic-cran35/

and didn't get segfaults (eha even installed without issues).

Göran -- I'm glad you have been able to get R working, but it could be
useful to understand what was broken.  The original missing symbol error
was for something that should have been defined in the header
files from the libcurl dev package.   Is there anything non-standard about
your libcurl and the associated header files?

--
George N. White III