[R-sig-Debian] Why is rstudio not in Ubuntu repo or PPA?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Thu Aug 2 13:38:56 CEST 2018

As for non-manual updates, I have been using two scripts for a few years:

https://github.com/eddelbuettel/littler/blob/master/inst/examples/getRStudioDesktop.r
https://github.com/eddelbuettel/littler/blob/master/inst/examples/getRStudioServer.r

They are part of the littler package (in Debian and Ubuntu, and on CRAN) and
get tweaked / updated as the base URLs change.  Currently hardwired for the
system I use (Ubuntu, amd64) but easy to generalize.

That said, a PPA would be preferable as apt and friends are of course
perfectly capable to 'sort' among available versions, download and install.