[R-sig-Debian] Why is rstudio not in Ubuntu repo or PPA?

JJ Allaire jj @ending from r@tudio@com
Wed Aug 1 22:50:25 CEST 2018

What keeps happening to us is that we end up requiring older or patched
versions of Qt, which makes it challenging to be synced to whatever version
of Qt happens to be in Debian/Ubuntu. Essentially we often need to vendor
Qt, and that isn't something that is compatible with being in the standard
Debian or Ubuntu repos (but may be compatible with Snaps or other
packaging/bundling standards).

We definitely should have a PPA though. Jonathan, is that something we're
considering along with work on Linux bundling (w/ Snaps, etc.)? I guess we
should also find out if it's acceptable to vendor Qt within a PPA.

Note that automated installation of the latest versions of RStudio stable,
preview, and daily builds is possible using the URLs published here:
https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/203842428-Getting-the-newest-RStudio-builds.
I realize this isn't a PPA, but it's at least a way of installing/updating
non-interactively.

J.J.