[R-sig-Debian] R 3.5.0 Binaries for Ubuntu now available

Jeroen Ooms jeroenooms at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 01:03:56 CEST 2018

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 3:49 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 29 April 2018 at 15:30, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
> | On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM, Michael Rutter <marutter at gmail.com> wrote:
> | > These have not been mirrored to CRAN as I want to have the other r-cran
> | > packages built against R 3.5 before adding to CRAN.  Worried about breaking
> | > working systems currently on R 3.4.4.
> |
> | Thanks, Michael. I did some simple tests, upgrading existing r-base
> | installations to R 3.5. on Xenial and Bionic, and initially apt did
> | the correct thing of removing the incompatible r-cran-xyz packages.
> |
> | However then I tried installing the (knowingly incompatible)
> | r-cran-rcpp from c2d4u and apt didn't stop me. Do the r-cran-xyz
> | packages from c2d4u not have the same r-api-nn dependency
> | restrictions?
>
> Does it have a r-api-3.4 tag like the official packages?  Michael and I may
> at some have made an executive decision to _not_ impose those on c2d4u packages.
> So blame us.

OK, understand this is a complex operation, but still unfortunate. The
mixing of c2d4u packages with r-base 3.5 will inevitably happen when
people upgrade their systems to R 3.5.

If there would be a way to start adding the appropriate r-api-nn tag
in c2d4u based on which version of R it was built with, that would
probably be an enormous improvement. Not sure if this is something
that can easily be automated.

Thanks for your efforts on this!