[R-sig-Debian] R 3.5.0 Binaries for Ubuntu now available

Michael Rutter marutter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 15:52:42 CEST 2018

On 04/29/2018 09:30 AM, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM, Michael Rutter <marutter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> These have not been mirrored to CRAN as I want to have the other r-cran
>> packages built against R 3.5 before adding to CRAN.  Worried about breaking
>> working systems currently on R 3.4.4.
>
> Thanks, Michael. I did some simple tests, upgrading existing r-base
> installations to R 3.5. on Xenial and Bionic, and initially apt did
> the correct thing of removing the incompatible r-cran-xyz packages.
>
> However then I tried installing the (knowingly incompatible)
> r-cran-rcpp from c2d4u and apt didn't stop me. Do the r-cran-xyz
> packages from c2d4u not have the same r-api-nn dependency
> restrictions?

Since c2d4u is (for the most part) automatic, it only grabs depends from
the CRAN web page.  Therefore, there is no r-api-nn dependency for
packages built from c2d4u source packages.  How that effects things is
unclear.  As Dirk just posted, it was an executive decision that we made
(or possibly ignored).

However, sometimes I need to borrow a package from Debian (when someone
else has built it on Launchpad before I did), and those will have the
r-api-nn dependency.  There are also the universe packages.

 From my end, this is a mess.  Rebuilding the universe packages for 3.5
is a slow process (crazy dependencies).  Plan is to build everything
against 3.5, but it will take some time.