[R-sig-Debian] libcurl issue when manually installing R-3.3.3 on Debian 3.16.0-4-amd64

Johannes Ranke johannes.ranke at jrwb.de
Wed Apr 5 22:15:07 CEST 2017

> With help from Johannes Ranke, I ran the following commands

I happend to respond off-list because my other email I was answering from was
not subscribed....

> sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/linux/debian
> jessie-cran3/" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'

This one is not from me, just for the record... but seems to have done what it
should.

> apt-key adv --keyserver
> keys.gnupg.net<http://keys.gnupg.net> --recv-key
> 6212B7B7931C4BB16280BA1306F90DE5381BA480

What was the error message from this command?

> This did not work, possibly due to a firewall blocking port 1137 on my
> computer

In earlier times, there was a service at http://keys.gnupg.net/ where one
could retrieve plain text keys via http. In a renewed attempt to resolve this
situation, I now found http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/ where you can search for
key 0x381BA480, put it into a text file and add it to the keys known to apt
using apt-key add xxx.txt. I am just updating the README on CRAN.

> I resorted to doing a custom installation of openssl and curl

Just for the record - I did not recommend that ...

Johannes