[R-sig-Debian] libcurl issue when manually installing R-3.3.3 on Debian 3.16.0-4-amd64

Lucio Marcello lucio.marcello.ic at uhi.ac.uk
Wed Apr 5 20:19:51 CEST 2017

Dirk,

I appreciate that you were trying to help, but I would suggest you don't answer a question if you find it irritating or think it is posed by someone who hasn't taken the time to figure things out on his own... others might be able to spare a bit more time and be more patient, however basic the question is. There is a lot of material covered in the page and I found your "read the page" + "we understand" comments dismissive.

With help from Johannes Ranke, I ran the following commands

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/linux/debian jessie-cran3/" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net<http://keys.gnupg.net> --recv-key 6212B7B7931C4BB16280BA1306F90DE5381BA480

This did not work, possibly due to a firewall blocking port 1137 on my computer

I resorted to doing a custom installation of openssl and curl and R-3.3.3 was installed successfully, the R ./configure message went from
checking if libcurl supports https... no
checking if libcurl supports https... yes

Here are the details

#remove curl
sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove curl

#remove openssl
sudo apt-get purge openssl

#install openssl from     http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.1.0e.tar.gz
./config --prefix=/usr/local/openssl --openssldir=/usr/local/openssl -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/openssl/lib
make
make test
sudo make install
/usr/local/openssl/bin$ openssl version
    OpenSSL 1.1.0e  16 Feb 2017
    [OpenSSL commands were put together / modified from
    https://geeksww.com/tutorials/libraries/openssl/installation/installing_openssl_on_ubuntu_linux.php
    https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Compilation_and_Installation
    https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/1740
    as curl's installation failed without -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/openssl/lib ]

#install curl (curl-7.53.1 from https://curl.haxx.se/download.html)
./configure --with-ssl=/usr/local/openssl
make
sudo make install

#install R
R-3.3.3 from https://cran.r-project.org/src/base/R-3/
./configure
make
make check
make install

All the best,

Lucio

On 4 April 2017 at 18:36, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org<mailto:edd at debian.org>> wrote:

On 4 April 2017 at 17:45, Lucio Marcello wrote:
| Dear Dirk,
|
| Do you mean binaries for R-3.3.3?
|
| I could not find any link on the page you mention
| I downloaded R-3.3.3.tar.gz from https://cran.r-project.org/src/base/R-3/

The link I gave you is https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian

Please read what is on that page.

| then ran
| ./configure

We understand.

It is still "wrong" as we have a working prebuilt binary for you.

You to get it is described on that page.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org<mailto:edd at debian.org>

Inverness College UHI, a partner in the University of the Highlands and Islands www.inverness.uhi.ac.uk Board of Management of Inverness College (known as Inverness College UHI), Scottish Charity No SC021197.