[R-sig-Debian] installing R-devel on ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Nov 11 13:44:01 CET 2016

On 11 November 2016 at 07:26, Mark Leeds wrote:
| Hi All: I've been trying to install R-devel on my ubuntu 14.04 machine by
| following the directions at this link.
|
| http://singmann.org/installing-r-devel-on-linux/
|
| The link is extremely clear and detailed but I run into an odd problem. When
| I run the script at the bottom of this ( which I call build-R-devel ),  the
| following directory structure gets created.
|
| :/usr/local/lib/R> dir
| total 56
| drwxr-xr-x  4 root root  4096 Nov 11 05:30 doc/
| drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Nov 11 05:30 etc/
| drwxr-xr-x 11 root root  4096 Nov 11 05:30 share/
| drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 Nov 11 05:30 include/
| drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 Nov 11 05:30 bin/
| drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Nov 11 05:30 lib/
| drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Nov 11 05:30 modules/
| drwxr-xr-x 32 root root  4096 Nov 11 05:30 library/
| -rw-r--r--  1 root root    46 Nov 11 05:30 SVN-REVISION
| -rw-r--r--  1 root root 18011 Nov 11 05:30 COPYING
| :/usr/local/lib/R>
|
| Yet, the --prefix in the configure command says to create
| /usr/local/lib/R-devel
| directory.  This causes problems because it ends up looking like I want the
| R-devel version to be my regular R version. so when I type
|
| bash R-devel.sh CMD check --as-cran package_xxx.tar.gz that uses
| the development version of R>
|
| but, if I type R CMD check --as-cran package_xxx.tar.gz, that also
| uses the development version of R.

So you did not

  a) use an argument to configure to have the binary of the binary
     altered (which you could have done to make it be, say, R-devel)

  b) realize there is an easy fix because

     $ which R

     will point you to where R-devel is as 'R', likely in /usr/local/bin

     Just rename that one to R-devel or RD or ...

     Then tell bash to forget its hashed arguments:  hash -r

     and 'R' should give you back the normal R.

Dirk