[R-sig-Debian] Problem with Install R on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Atakan Okan atakanokan at outlook.com
Thu May 12 14:56:22 CEST 2016

Thanks for the reply Mr. Eddelbuettel. However I somehow couldn't manage to solve the problem completely.

So I cleaned the sources.list file so taht the output is this:
sudo apt-get update
Hit:1 http://tr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Hit:2 http://tr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
Hit:3 http://tr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
Hit:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
Hit:5 http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu xenial/ InRelease
Reading package lists... Done

So after that:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
[sudo] password for atakan:

(gedit:7094): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

** (gedit:7094): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-spell-enabled not supported

** (gedit:7094): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-encoding not supported

** (gedit:7094): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-position not supported

And then I check the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory and it was empty, so I tried to create a cran.list file wth gedit and when I tried to save it, it raised an error "Could not save the file, you do not have the permissions necessary....". I am logged in as the administrator, I am not sure how to fix this.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cran.list
cat: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cran.list: No such file or directory