[R-sig-Debian] R 3.3.0 for Debian jessie on the way to CRAN, not for wheezy

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Wed May 4 14:16:42 CEST 2016

Dear all,

I have just completed the backport of the newly released R 3.3.0 to Debian
jessie for the CRAN repository, together with the usual update of the other
(recommended) packages supplied there.

It will hit the CRAN mirrors shortly.

For wheezy, I do not plan to backport R 3.3.0, as this would entail
backporting, and keeping up to date with security releases, a couple of other
packages, triggered by the versioned dependency on curl >= 7.28.

Also, R 3.2.5 is considered a very stable release ("Very, Very Secure
Dishes"), so I think this matches the requirements of people still running
wheezy.

On another note, the backport of R 3.2.5 that Andreas Tille prepared, was just
accepted to jessie-backports. In my mind, this is a first step towards
complementing the CRAN backports (which feature only three architectures) and
maybe even superseeding them in the future.

Kind regards,

Johannes