[R-sig-Debian] r-base installation fails on Ubuntu 14.04

Barnet Wagman bdwgen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 19:33:35 CET 2016

Problems are showing up with libgfortran3 and liblapack3.
Results of apt-cache policy are below.  FYI no part of R is currently
installed on my system.  Thanks.

root at bwud:/etc/apt# apt-get install r-base-core

  r-base-core : Depends: libgfortran3 (>= 4.3) but it is not going to be
installed
                Depends: liblapack3 but it is not going to be installed or
                         liblapack.so.3
                Recommends: r-recommended but it is not going to be
installed
                Recommends: r-base-dev but it is not going to be installed

root at bwud:/etc/apt# apt-cache policy libgfortran3
libgfortran3:
   Installed: (none)
   Candidate: 4.8.2-19ubuntu1
   Version table:
      4.8.2-19ubuntu1 0
         500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages

root at bwud:/etc/apt# apt-cache policy liblapack3
liblapack3:
   Installed: (none)
   Candidate: 3.5.0-2ubuntu1
   Version table: