[R-sig-Debian] r-base installation fails on Ubuntu 14.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Mar 23 19:06:37 CET 2016

On 23 March 2016 at 10:35, Alex M wrote:
| I can make a few suggestions to help you hunt for the issue. This kind
| of error is often caused by conflicting packages from proposed,
| backports, ppas, or other 3rd party repos. If for some reason you have a
| dependency installed from one of those sources that is newer than what R
| on cran was built against (stock ubuntu 14.04) then you will hit a conflict.
|
| Simply removing backports from your repos will not solve the problem.
| You actually have to roll back the version of any packages you install
| from backports.
|
| For ppas, there's a really cool tool out there call ppa-purge which will
| roll back anything installed from a specific ppa. For backports you're
| going to have to do it by hand. Maybe there's a nice dpkg way to list
| all packages you installed from backports?

+1

And that is what I was referring to with 'show us your error messages'.  If
something 'blocks', do a 'apt-cache policy nameofthatpackage' to see where it
came from.  Worst case, uninstall components (carefully) as suggested here.
By removing R and pieces you should not be able to brick your system.

PPAs are great, but they are /not/ tested against each other as the distro
core is.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org