[R-sig-Debian] Outdated r-base-core when installing on Ubuntu 14.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Mar 21 18:35:02 CET 2016

On 21 March 2016 at 12:10, Matthew Simpson wrote:
| I have a chromebook with a fresh minimal install of Ubuntu 14.04 running
| through crouton, and I'm trying to install the latest version of R. The
| only thing I have done to the system before trying to install R is install
| gedit. When I try to install R I get an unmet dependencies error that
| complains that the version of r-base-core available isn't new enough.
|
| I followed the instructions at
| https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html to install R. Here
| is precisely what I did:
|
| 1) after installing gedit, I added the following two lines to
| /etc/apt/sources.list
|
| deb http://cran.wustl.edu/bin/linux/ubuntu trusty/
| deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ trusty-backports main restricted
| universe
|
| (Note: I've tried a couple different R mirrors and it doesn't affect
| anything as far as I can
| tell)
|
| 2) Add Michael Rutter's key with
|
| sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E084DAB9
|
| 3) Update sources and attempt to install R:
|
| sudo apt-get update
| sudo apt-get install r-base
|
| Here is the full text of the error I get:
|
| sudo apt-get install r-base
| Reading package lists... Done
| Building dependency tree
| Reading state information... Done
| Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
| requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
| distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
| or been moved out of Incoming.
| The following information may help to resolve the situation:
|
| The following packages have unmet dependencies:
|  r-base : Depends: r-base-core (>= 3.2.4-revised-1trusty0) but it is not
| going to be installed
|           Depends: r-recommended (= 3.2.4-revised-1trusty0) but it is not
| going to be installed
|           Recommends: r-base-html but it is not going to be installed
|           Recommends: r-doc-html but it is not going to be installed
| E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
|

| Using sudo apt-cache showpkg <package> reveals that apt is attempting to
| install r-base 3.2.4, but only has access to r-base-core 3.0.2.  It does
| have access to r-recommended, r-base-html, and r-doc-html all version 3.2.4
| though.

Then something is wrong with your apt entries. Check and double check.

I run wily here (because why would I want to be on an almost two year old
OS?) and it looks as follows:

edd at max:~$ apt-cache policy r-base
r-base:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.2.4-revised-1wily0
  Version table:
     3.2.4-revised-1wily0 0
        500 http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu/ wily/ Packages
     3.2.4-1wily 0
        500 http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu/ wily/ Packages
     3.2.3-6wily0 0
        500 http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu/ wily/ Packages
     3.2.3-4wily0 0
        500 http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu/ wily/ Packages
     3.2.3-3wily0 0
        500 http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu/ wily/ Packages
     3.2.3-1.wily.0 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/edd/misc/ubuntu/ wily/main amd64 Packages
     3.2.3-1wily1 0
        500 http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu/ wily/ Packages
     3.2.3-1wily0 0
        500 http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu/ wily/ Packages
     3.2.2-1wily 0
        500 http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu/ wily/ Packages
     3.2.2-1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ wily/universe amd64 Packages
edd at max:~$

I could have 3.2.2 from the distro -- which makes sense as 15.10 had a cutoff
some time last summer -- all the other thanks to Michael rebuilding the ports
of why I stick into Debian.

Dirk