[R-sig-Debian] Outdated r-base-core when installing on Ubuntu 14.04

Matthew Simpson themattsimpson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 18:10:02 CET 2016

I have a chromebook with a fresh minimal install of Ubuntu 14.04 running
through crouton, and I'm trying to install the latest version of R. The
only thing I have done to the system before trying to install R is install
gedit. When I try to install R I get an unmet dependencies error that
complains that the version of r-base-core available isn't new enough.

I followed the instructions at
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html to install R. Here
is precisely what I did:

1) after installing gedit, I added the following two lines to
/etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://cran.wustl.edu/bin/linux/ubuntu trusty/
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ trusty-backports main restricted
universe

(Note: I've tried a couple different R mirrors and it doesn't affect
anything as far as I can
tell)

2) Add Michael Rutter's key with

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E084DAB9

3) Update sources and attempt to install R:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install r-base

Here is the full text of the error I get:

sudo apt-get install r-base
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 r-base : Depends: r-base-core (>= 3.2.4-revised-1trusty0) but it is not
going to be installed
          Depends: r-recommended (= 3.2.4-revised-1trusty0) but it is not
going to be installed
          Recommends: r-base-html but it is not going to be installed
          Recommends: r-doc-html but it is not going to be installed

Using sudo apt-cache showpkg <package> reveals that apt is attempting to
install r-base 3.2.4, but only has access to r-base-core 3.0.2.  It does
have access to r-recommended, r-base-html, and r-doc-html all version 3.2.4
though.

I could probably live with R 3.0.2, but sudo apt-get install r-base=3.0.2
yields a similar error complaining that it needs r-recommended 3.0.2, but
it won't be installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt Simpson