[R-sig-Debian] care TIMES two

klerer at sxmail.de klerer at sxmail.de
Sun Jan 17 03:07:26 CET 2016

Dear list,[1] recently when searching the list of Kubuntu (14.04 LTS)-available software packages via "synaptic" I was quite surprised to find that a package called "caret" had a strong similarity in name with an R (version 3.0.2 installed) package mentioned in a book on R which I read.[2] As there was no indication to the existence of a CRAN package really called "r(-****)-caret" but to that of a "general" (K)ubuntu package of quite the same name that is furthermore and to-date uninstalled on my system, the following question arose to me:[3] When there was a package in R (run on a Kubuntu system) whose name "coincided" with that of a (K)ubuntu software package also available to (K)ubuntu users, would it hence be necessary to install that "general" package OF BOTH LIKEWISE-NAMED ONES first on that very Linux system so that upon importing and unpacking the .gz.zip file containing the corresponding package from a trustable source (CRAN) the latter step (import+unpacking of the
compressed file) could at all bear fruits in that THE SAME-NAME EARMARKED R PACKAGE would operate on the R-hosting Linux system at all?[4] I have to admit that which ran through my mind and materialised as item [3] of this email could appear confusing; the "fear" of not being able to use an R functionality on my Linux OS without enabling the latter to allow for the operation of software capability imported and therewith plugged in to unfold its power within the bounds of the former (R) is the simple reason to turn to you.Best regards,Markus Hofstetter