[R-sig-Debian] Installing TMAP in R Studio on Linux Mint

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun May 31 15:20:35 CEST 2015

On 31 May 2015 at 09:48, Abed W. Ayyad wrote:
| Copied and sent from another address:
|

| On 31 May 2015 at 09:43, Abed W. Ayyad <imraualkays at gmail.com> wrote:
|
| > To the R-Sig-Debian list:
| >
| > Hello, this is my first post to the list and I hope that making it short
| > and swift does not make it come across as abrupt or rude.
| >
| > I'm having trouble installing the TMAP package on R-Studio on my build of
| > Linux Mint. I was able to narrow this down to the lack of the libgeos-dev
| > library, which I tried to install via the terminal, but I constantly get
| > the "unable to locate package" error. I've also changed/added repositories
| > several times over the past week or so.

Exactly what did you try?

My system has libgeos-dev.  At the prompt:

edd at max:~$ apt-cache show libgeos-dev
Package: libgeos-dev
Architecture: amd64
Source: geos
Version: 3.4.2-6build1
Depends: libgeos-c1 (= 3.4.2-6build1)
Suggests: libgdal-doc
Filename: pool/universe/g/geos/libgeos-dev_3.4.2-6build1_amd64.deb
Size: 60386
MD5sum: de32c018df4d9e4bad8e52e7fc8cd610
SHA1: 2a0bfb9b45dfac27f5dd50afc826619e1b3b9f87
SHA256: 998ce25887b62c1ad9ea0829e0306295df6f380bc83a8f5e136246bc46631c45
Description-en: Geometry engine for GIS - Development files
 GEOS provides a spatial object model and fundamental geometric
 functions. It implements the geometry model defined in the
 OpenGIS Consortium Simple Features Specification for SQL.
 .
 This package contains the headers and libraries needed to
 develop programs using GEOS.
Description-md5: 3f1f0c4d5fc2ab9465b9947eec04cda4
Homepage: http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu

edd at max:~$ apt-cache policy libgeos-dev
libgeos-dev:
  Installed: 3.4.2-6build1
  Candidate: 3.4.2-6build1
  Version table:
 *** 3.4.2-6build1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
edd at max:~$

This shows that if I did

     sudo apt-get install libgeos-dev

it would istall version 3.4.2-6build1 from the main ubuntu archive.

| > Is there anything that can be done for this problem? Has the libgeos-dev
| > library been taken off of the repositories?

I do not know what Mint does but I doubt it.

Dirk