[R-sig-Debian] Unable to install packages: "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgfortran"

Natalia Morandeira nmorandeira at unsam.edu.ar
Fri May 8 04:10:04 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I'm using R version 3.2.0 in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

 While trying to install any package I get the error: "/usr/bin/ld: cannot
find -lgfortran"

If I open a Terminal and run "ldconfig -p | grep libgfortran"​, I get:​
"libgfortran.so.3 (libc6,x86-64) =>
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgfortran.so.3"

I've been an R user for two years and this is the first time I get this
error. I've uninstalled R and re-installed it but the problem was not
solved.

I'll be very grateful for any help or suggestions to solve the problem.

Best regards,

Natalia Morandeira