[R-sig-Debian] Unable to install R 3.1.2 on Debian:Testing

Carl Boettiger cboettig at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 22:44:25 CET 2015

Dear Johannes, R-sig-debian list,

Along with Dirk Eddelbuettel I've been maintaining Debian-based Docker
containers for R. Recently our container installing r-base has started to
fail. This seems to be due to a problem with the libjpeg dependencies. The
example I show below was working with debian:jessie on Jan 5th, but has
been failing since then.  (https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/rocker/r-base/
)

>From a vanilla install of debian:testing (or jessie or squeeze) I add the
CRAN repository for the latest R version for debian, and then I then try to
install `r-base-core` 3.1.2:

    apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 381BA480
    echo "deb http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/debian wheezy-cran3/" >
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/r-cran.list

    apt-get install r-base-core=3.1.2*

and I get the error:

*Selected version '3.1.2-1~wheezycran3.0' (CRAN Backports:wheezy-cran3
[amd64]) for 'r-base-core'Some packages could not be installed. This may
mean that you haverequested an impossible situation or if you are using the
unstabledistribution that some required packages have not yet been
createdor been moved out of Incoming.The following information may help to
resolve the situation:*

*The following packages have unmet dependencies: r-base-core : Depends:
libjpeg8 (>= 8c) but it is not installable*

Note that `apt-cache show r-base-core` shows three versions are available:
3.1.2~wheezycran3.0, 3.1.1+b2, and 3.1.0~wheezycran3.0, and that the
`wheezycran3.0` versions (e.g. R 3.1.2 and 3.1.0) cannot be installed
because they depend on libjpeg8, which is not available, while 3.1.1
depends on libjpeg62-turbo-dev.

I'm not sure why the libjpeg dependency has changed or how to address this
so that I can install r-base=3.1.2 on Debian.

Thanks for your help,

Carl