[R-sig-Debian] Having both R-current and R-devel installed on Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Aug 29 17:44:23 CEST 2015

On 29 August 2015 at 17:14, Liviu Andronic wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
| I too would need to get R-devel on my Ubuntu box (alongside an
| existing R installation) to check my packages, especially given the
| mayhem that awaits us when the new `R CMD check --as-cran` goes live.
| ( http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/doc/html/NEWS.html )
|
| I was wondering if the script that you posted on r-sig-debian a couple
| years back was still valid. More however, I'd like to know if you ever

Yes. I update R-devel about weekly as I too need to check my packages.

| considered/worked on putting this script into proper 'debian'
| packaging instructions? If such existed, it would be easy enough to

I think about it a bit, but I just do not have the time and bandwith to

  i)   completely rewrite debian/* for the r-base package

  ii)  to become accomodating of two R interpreters

  iii) in a way that is seemless and does not introduce bugs in the transition

| mirror the R repo on Launchpad and then provide daily builds of
| r-devel on a PPA (in view of independent installation from stable R
| packages).
|
| Any ideas on this? Regards,

There is an easier way.

Install docker, either via the docker.io package or (as I do now) via the apt
repo docker.com offers.  I maintain two images

   rocker/drd         "Daily R-devel" -- a little smaller, deletes build deps

   rocker/r-devel     r-devel builds

you can use 'as is'.

Or you can use the script you mentioned. I mostly do the latter.

Dirk

| Liviu
|

| On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
| >
| > Hi Søren,
| >
| > On 8 August 2012 at 20:38, Søren Højsgaard wrote:
| > | Dear List,
| > |
| > | Having used R on Windows for years, I have recently installed Ubuntu as a virtual machine. I admit that I am quite new to the linux world.
| >
| > Good :)  It's even better once you "host" on Linux as Linux is generally
| > better with limited resources.
| >
| > | Installing R (current version = 2.15.1) went smoothly, but I would like to have both the current version of R and R-devel installed. I've searched the net for info on doing this but so far without luck.
| >
| > I hope you found the README on CRAN to get you the prebuilt version. That is
| > the way many of us find most convenient to get "r-release" up and going.
| >
| > | Can anyone help me getting this up and running?
| > |

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org