[R-sig-Debian] r-cran-rgdal: dependency on libgdal1 unsatisfied in ubuntu 12.04?

Matt Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Sat Sep 27 22:04:14 CEST 2014

On 27/09/14 20:30, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> PS Ubuntu 12.04 is ancient. I would upgrade, which I do every six months. In
> any there *is* a newer LTS for you in 14.04.

The fear may be that a fresh install will be needed (a pain) as
upgrading the existing installation often comes with warnings that it
might not work.  That's why I switched to a rolling release (LMDE) so
I'll never need to upgrade and reinstall and setup all the software I
need and config again.  So they tell me.   I'll tell you if it's true in
a few years!   My /home is mounted on its own partition, so that's not a
pain (but is for users who don't know how to use gparted to do that),
but even then I fear problems if I point a new release to my single
/home and then need to roll back (the new release may have changed files
in ~).
Do you do a fresh install every 6 months or do you upgrade your existing?

Matt