[R-sig-Debian] r-cran-rgdal: dependency on libgdal1 unsatisfied in ubuntu 12.04?

Matt Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Sat Sep 27 21:44:14 CEST 2014

Hi,

What I needed to do was :

sudo apt-get install libgdal-dev libproj-dev

Mind you, I'm on Linux Mint Debian Edition, so Ubuntu may be completely
different.  I'm not sure.

The trick seems to be searching for subsets of the package name; e.g.

$ apt-cache search gdal
dans-gdal-scripts - GDAL contributed tools by Geographic Information
Network of Alaska
gdal-bin - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - Utility programs
libgdal-dev - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - Development files
libgdal-doc - Documentation for the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal-perl - Perl bindings to the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal-ruby - Ruby bindings to the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal-ruby1.8 - Ruby 1.8 bindings to the Geospatial Data Abstraction
Library
libgdal1 - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal1-dev - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - Development files
python-gdal - Python bindings to the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal1-1.9.0-grass - GRASS extension for the GDAL library
qlandkartegt - GPS mapping (GeoTiff and vector) and GPSr management

See what that returns for you and just keep installing likely candidates
until it works.  That's what I do.  It sometimes seems to be the ones
ending -dev (or similar) that are needed.  Even though we aren't
"developing" such packages for R I suppose because we need to install
from source on Linux, in a sense we are.

I seem to remember that package needs libproj-dev as well,  which is why
I included it above. May be wrong on that.

What beats me is why the Linux package dependencies aren't included in
the package DESCRIPTION file.  I guess that's because they're different
names on each distro (again, something else that puzzles me)?  So then I
wonder why not include dependencies for the common distros like Ubuntu
and Debian derivatives:  that'd be a start.

Still, much better than Windows.

Matt