[R-sig-Debian] difference between install from source and install from repositories

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Sep 18 18:48:47 CEST 2014

On 18 September 2014 at 15:50, Pratibha Rana wrote:
| On 09/18/2014 11:16 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > R records the arguments it receives from the 'configure' call.  As a
| > convenience measure, you can access these via a softlinked file in
| > /etc/R/Makeconf which makes it easy to read and study.
| I see . I'll take a look at that and see if I can bring my source
| installation at parity.

In all honesty, you may want to think a little about this and just consider
using R from the Ubuntu repo at CRAN.  I put a fair amount of care into them,
release the day of R releases, and Michael and the mirroring typically catch
up in another day or two.

These work. Reliably. I use them on a number of machines at work.

[...]

| > If you think it does, a reproducible example would help.
| I do have an example which goes into an infinite recursion while
| creating a NumericVector if I try to run it on an installation from
| sources but runs fine on an installation from the repository. But if you
| start looking at the code, most of it doesn't do anything useful since I
| trimmed down the original code as much as possible in my attempt to
| isolate the problem. But in the current code if I try to trim any piece
| of code the problem goes away. I understand that the reproducer is not
| as minimal as it should be, but in my defence the bug is wierd and
| commenting out even seemingly harmless code makes the code work. Try
| commenting out any of the functions in RInterface.cpp and the code works
| just fine. Also the same piece of code works in one function but not the
| other.

That's an Rcpp issue, so I would have to send you back to the rcpp-devel list :)

But if I understand you correctly it works with the R binaries, which is what
I ran.  So nothing to replicate at my end.  You may need to work this out at
your end.  [ But sending code to rcpp-devel may engage someone else into
trying this for you. ]

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org