[R-sig-Debian] Latest version of R from CRAN for utopic (14.10)

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Wed Nov 5 14:47:25 CET 2014

On 11/05/2014 03:48 AM, Seb R wrote:
> Hi,
> I am not in a hurry, but I would like to upgrade my ubuntu to utopic.
> However, for now, the latest version of R that can be installed from CRAN
> mirrors is not available for utopic.
> Indeed, I am not sure I understand this sentence :
>
>> UBUNTU PACKAGES FOR R
>> R packages for Ubuntu on i386 and amd64 are available for all stable
>> Desktop releases of Ubuntu until their official end of life date. However,
>> only the latest Long Term Support (LTS) release is fully supported. As of
>> October 17, 2013, the supported releases are Trusty Tahr (14.04), Precise
>> Pangolin (12.04; LTS), and Lucid Lynx (10.04; LTS).
>>
> Does this mean that from now only LTS version will get the latest version
> of R, or the non-LTS will be partially supported ?
> If, as I think I understand, non-LTS can also get latest R, is there any
> schedule for utopic ?
> I don't have any idea of how long and complicated it is for you developpers
> to make it available after, I suppose, a stability testing period...
> Thank you

Thanks for pointing this out.  The good news is that the new versions
for R are available on my Launchpad PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/ubuntu/rrutter.  You can get
them from that location right now.

I will fix the CRAN issue this morning.  It will take around 24 hours
for the changes to show up on all CRAN mirrors, so if you want the
packages now, head to Launchpad.

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
Associate Professor of Statistics
Academic and Program Coordinator, Mathematics
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
Station Road
Erie, PA 16563
http://math.bd.psu.edu/faculty/rutter