[R-sig-Debian] Segfaults on Ubuntu 14.04

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Wed Apr 23 04:06:11 CEST 2014

On 04/22/2014 05:21 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 22 April 2014 at 13:55, Carl Boettiger wrote:
> | I've just upgraded my Ubuntu system to 14.04 / Trusty Tahr. I now find that
> | when I launch the "R" software environment, I immediately get a
> | segmentation fault with no further warning or error message.
> |
> | I tried removing the relevant base package, which seemed to successfully
> | remove R entirely from my system:
> |
> |     sudo aptitude remove --purge r-base-core
> |
> | I then simply reinstalled r-base-core, but same error persists.
>
> Hm.
>
> I upgraded a few (older, less used) machines at home on the weekend, and had
> no issues.  But I didn't try R.

I updated a laptop to trusty and added the RRutter Launchpad PPA.
Downloaded R and it ran fine.  So, I would try that repository to see if
it fixes the issue (https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/rrutter).
Since the PPA feeds CRAN, there should be no difference but you never know.

A couple of questions.

1. Did you do a fresh install or an upgrade of Ubuntu?
2. Are you using any of the non-standard libraries like OpenBLAS?
3. 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu?

This is the first I have heard of the issue for Trusty.  Not sure shy
the Debian package works and not the I built.  Another suggestion would
be use the version of R from the Ubuntu repository (remove any new
sources) and see if that works.

Hope this helps,
Michael

> | my sources.list shows:
> |
> |     deb http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu trusty/
> |     deb-src http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu trusty/
>
> That seems right.  Maybe Michael can chime in.
>
> | I then simply downloaded the Debian wheezy .deb for R 3.1.0 instead and
> | installed that, which worked just fine.  Just wondering if anyone else has
>
> That is potentially not the right thing as Debian can have different library
> versions...
>
> | encountered this problem on the Ubuntu version and/or if I should report
> | this as a bug, and to whom.  (My apologies, the Debian package information
> | for the ubuntu .deb file isn't particularly clear on to whom I should
> | report bugs).
>
> Here is good. I read it, Michael reads it, ...

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
Associate Professor of Statistics
Program Coordinator, Mathematics
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College