[R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu 13.10 - not able to upgrade R

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Apr 18 22:35:33 CEST 2014

On 18 April 2014 at 17:06, Martin Bel wrote:
| Dirk,
|
| Below is my original mail, a question i sent yesterday.
| I wanted to upgrade R but for some reason this didn't work.
| Your response to this e-mail was: try the rstudio mirror or some other. This
| didn't work, meaning i couldn't upgrade R.
|
| As you probably didn't have this first question in your mail history, it didn't
| make sense. Sorry for this.

I saw your email and replied to it. I keep mailing list emails so
re-resending the post is not necessary.

All we have below are three __warning__ messages ("W" -> warning; "E" ->
errors).  No errors here. I suggested switching mirrors.

| Finally, i could upgrade R with this line:
| sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/rrutter

Very good. I won't try any longer to waste everybody's time then.

Dirk

| Best,
| Martin
|

| Hi,
| I'm having some issues upgrading R. I'm using ubuntu linux 13.10, saucy and would like to upgrade R to the new version.I'm currently using 3.0.1
| I've been following the instructions given in:1. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10476713/how-to-upgrade-r-in-ubuntuand2. http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
|
| Here is exactly what i did, following mostly the stackoverflow description:
| 1) Added the cran mirror link to the sources list(I've actually tryed with 3 different mirrors just in case)sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.listdeb http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/linux/ubuntu/ saucy/
| 2) Getting the key step gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key E084DAB9gpg -a --export E084DAB9 | sudo apt-key add -
| 3) Run the updates/upgradessudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
| After a large list of succesful updates i get the following result in the terminal:
|
| W: Failed to fetch http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/linux/ubuntu/saucy/InRelease
| W: Failed to fetch http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/linux/ubuntu/saucy/Release.gpg Cannot initiate the connection to cran.cnr.berkeley.edu:80 (2607:f140:0:8000::201). - connect (101: Network is unreachable) [IP: 2607:f140:0:8000::201 80]
| W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree Reading state information... Done0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
|
| I've done this a few times. At this point there are no more updates and the R error is isolated.
| Is there a solution to this or should i just re-install R.
| Thanks for your time,
| Martin
|

| > Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:54:56 -0500
| > To: belmartin at outlook.com
| > CC: edd at debian.org; r-sig-debian at r-project.org
| > Subject: RE: [R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu 13.10 - not able to upgrade R
| > From: edd at debian.org
| >

| > On 18 April 2014 at 16:39, Martin Bel wrote:
| > | I've tried a few different mirrors before, including the rstudio one.
| > | To be sure i've tried again with the one you provided, but didn't work.
| >
| > We can't really help you at the granularity of "didn't work": What did you
| > try? How did it fail? What were the errors?
| >
| > Maybe read some of the HOWTOs on the web about 'how to ask a good question'
| > as eg this classic variant: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
| >
| > | I've found this other method, that worked. I guess it's not the official
| one,
| > | right?
| > |
| > |