[R-sig-Debian] Can't install R 2.15 and r-recommended on Ubuntu

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Fri Nov 8 00:17:52 CET 2013

On 11/07/2013 04:51 PM, Johannes Ranke wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 09:51:36PM +0100, Kirill Müller wrote:
>> On 11/07/2013 06:15 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>>> It would be cleaner to just build yourself a one-off 2.15 deb package, wget
>>> it onto the travis host and use it.
>> I could as well host a PPA on LaunchPad. Could you point me at the
>> scripts you use to build the official CRAN bits?
>
> you can use the sources
>
> deb-src http://<favorite-cran-mirror>/bin/linux/debian squeeze-cran/
>
> together with these simple scripts:
>
> http://kriemhild.uft.uni-bremen.de/viewvc/r-backports/build_r-base.sh?revision=83&view=markup
>
> and
>
> http://kriemhild.uft.uni-bremen.de/viewvc/r-backports/build_others.sh?revision=92&view=markup
>
> Johannes

All the packages that you need are on the Ubuntu CRAN site (I believe),
the trick is convincing Ubuntu to install the correct ones.  One
solution would be to ge here:

http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/precise/

Manually download the packages you need.  Look for dates around March 2,
2013.  That is the was the day 2.15.3 was created for Ubuntu.  Once you
have downloaded the packages, install them using "dpkg".

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
Associate Professor of Statistics
Program Coordinator, Mathematics
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College