[R-sig-Debian] Can't install R 2.15 and r-recommended on Ubuntu

Kirill Müller kirill.mueller at ivt.baug.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 7 15:02:29 CET 2013

On 11/07/2013 02:52 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 7 November 2013 at 14:40, Kirill Müller wrote:
> | When attempting to install R in version 2.15 (for testing purposes) on a
> | clean Ubuntu 12.04 machine from the CRAN Ubuntu repository, I can't seem
> | to install r-recommended:
> |
> | + sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends
> | r-base-dev=2.15.3-1precise0precise1 r-base-core=2.15.3-1precise0precise1
> | r-recommended=2.15.3-1precise0precise1 qpdf
>
> What happens when you do no hard-code version numbers?
Everything works fine in this case. But I need R 2.15 -- as you may have
guessed, this is for r-travis. Here are a few failed builds:

https://travis-ci.org/krlmlr/r-travis/jobs/13630510 -- explicitly
installing all packages r-recommended depends on

https://travis-ci.org/krlmlr/r-travis/jobs/13630201 -- install R 2.15
and current r-recommended

https://travis-ci.org/krlmlr/r-travis/jobs/13629522 -- the original
case: install R 2.15 and r-recommended 2.15

If this can't be resolved easily on the client side: Perhaps this could
be fixed by (a) adding older deb-s to the repo and/or (b) specifying a
maximum version in r-recommended?

On the other hand, r-recommended is necessary for CRAN checks, not so
for "regular" checks against older R versions.

> What does, say, 'apt-cache policy r-recommended' say?
It aims at installing the most recent version, I guess. I have fired up
another build to check this:

https://travis-ci.org/krlmlr/r-travis/jobs/13633723

-Kirill