[R-sig-Debian] configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not available

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Mar 22 18:46:59 CET 2013

On 21 March 2013 at 23:56, Srinivasan, Sathish  K wrote:
| Hi everyone,
| I am trying to install R.2.15.3 from the source code obtained from http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/src/base/R-2/R-2.15.3.tar.gz  in my Debian version: Squeeze box.

That should exist pre-build.  Did you read

       http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/

and indeed

       http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/squeeze-cran/

contains 2.15.3 for squeeze.

| In order to have multiple versions of R in my system, I gave this command to configure.
|
| ./configure --prefix=/opt/R2.15.3/
|
| Subsequently, I got two warnings and one error message such as the following:
|
| configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of the R manuals
| configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of vignettes and help pages
| configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not available
|
| Could someone direct me with a solution to the above issues. From the error messages, I can understand that I am not having the required X11 headers/libs, so what packages in debian squeeze should I have to install for the error messages to disappear during compilation of R source code.

Tim already helped you with this. In essence, you just misread the error message.

But you should not have to build this by hand unless you really need to (and
know how to).