[R-sig-Debian] naming r-base files Ubuntu precise builds

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Mon Apr 29 18:27:09 CEST 2013

On 04/29/2013 08:53 AM, Tobias Verbeke wrote:
> L.S.
>
> The Ubuntu precise builds of R 2.15.3 at
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/precise/
>
> have names for the r-base package that seem erroneous
>
> r-base_2.15.3-1precise0precise1.diff.gz	02-Mar-2013 14:09 	79K
> r-base_2.15.3-1precise0precise1.dsc	02-Mar-2013 14:09 	2.4K
> r-base_2.15.3-1precise0precise1_all.deb	02-Mar-2013 17:49 	37K
>
> Should this be
>
> r-base_2.15.3-1precise1.diff.gz
> r-base_2.15.3-1precise1.dsc
> r-base_2.15.3-1precise1_all.deb
>
> and, if yes, can this be fixed?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Best wishes,
> Tobias

Tobias,

That "feature" of the naming convention is a function of the process
used to build the deb packages for Ubuntu.  I use a Launchpad PPA to
build the binaries, then mirror them to CRAN.  Using Launchpad allows
for the packages to be built on multiple architectures (386 and amd64
and others in the future) without me having to maintain all those build
machines.

The strange naming is one potential downside.  Every once in a while I
need to upload a release of R twice to the PPA in order to fix a bug.
Sometimes, this will result in names like you see above.  Once the
package is built, I cannot fix the names.  However, it should not be
causing any problems as apt/synaptic should install that as the latest
version of R.  In my experience, it is only cosmetic and does not effect
the upgrade process.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science