[R-sig-Debian] downgrading to R 2.15.1-4 from sid beta 3.0.0

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Apr 1 22:14:46 CEST 2013

On 1 April 2013 at 14:12, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
| On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:51:24 -0500,
| Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
|
| > On 26 March 2013 at 07:35, Charles Plessy wrote:
| >> Le Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 03:14:11PM -0500, Sebastian P. Luque a écrit
| >> : > On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:14:15 -0500,

| >> Hi Sebastian and everybody,
| >>
| >> Note (if it helps) that it is also available from
| >> snapshot.debian.org.
| >>
| >> http://snapshot.debian.org/package/r-base/
|
| > Ace -- thanks for the reminder about snapshot.d.o.
|
| > As for Seb's query about mass-updates: what you do from ESS, I do from
| > shell via littler -- and yes, I usually control via lib.loc(). In this
| > case we may want to force it everywhere... though I can't fully
| > recommend to overwrite files owned by dpkg and apt-*.  If it breaks,
| > you keep the pieces.
|
| > And lastly, this is of course a bug in r-base as it could potentially
| > conflict with its dependents. In practive, I don't see how we could do
| > this easily so the best bet is probably to simply upgrade the .deb
| > packages as fast as possible.
|
| > Dirk
|
| > My ~/bin/update.r is below, with some comments removed. A version is
| > also in the littler sources and Debian package.
|
| Thanks Dirk and Charles for the pointers.  I'm now running a locally
| installed R 2.15.3 and packages until the dust settles with 3.0.0.
|
| I just noticed that many sid packages have now been rebuilt against R
| 3.0.0.  Kudos to Dirk and the team!  However, I don't understand how

Yes, I kept busy over the weekend.

| this works for packages that have an upstream Depends on R < 3.0.0.  One
| of these is nlme, and yet r-cran-nlme has been rebuilt against R 3.0.0,
| even though it fails to load in this latest R with:

I don't see that in the nlme sources.

Rather, the one I uploaded (3.1-109) has

	Depends: graphics, stats, R (>= 3.0.0)

| R> library(nlme)
| Error: package ‘nlme’ was built before R 3.0.0: please re-install it
|
| What am I missing?

I *very strongly* suspect that you have an older r-cran-nlme on your system,
or that you have older nlme installation ahead of the current r-cran-nlme in
your .libPaths()

Check the result from installed.packages().