[R-sig-Debian] How to upgrade from 2.15.1 to 2.15.1 patched?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:02:56 CEST 2012

On 24/09/12 18:47, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> this.  I think there is no "deb" packaged version of | > R-patched. The patched version comes
> out very often, and they don't intend it to go into the | > packaging based distributions. It
> is still in testing, you know. | | I also don't think that there is a deb available, but I have
> self-compile R along with deb R and | never had problems - you don't have to install R to run
> it, just do the usual: | | ./configure | make
>
> You can do /much/ better than the default configure.

No question about that - but, I guess (as I don't know the script you mention below),  the basic
idea is the same.

> For local builds of eg R-devel (straight off SVN) I have a script which was posted here not so
> long ago, and Michael also posted it on his new-ish blog. You can trivially substitute
> R-patched for R-devel.
>
> Now, if someone __really__ wants or needs R-patched packaged, we could conceivably look into
> this (re-)using the launchpad infrastructure. I won't have time to drive this in the near
> future, and I presume Michael has more pressing issues too, but we are generally happy to help
> others.

There is always the issue, that if you offer a binary, more people will use it and more can report
bugs. But on the other hand, more users not that experienced will use it and this can cause problems.

I would say: R-patched is only for advanced users, so a script to compile it is perfectly fine.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Dirk
>
> | but NOT | make install | | | Cheers, | | Rainer | | > | > Here is what you should do to make
> a package. I have done this on Debian, it will work. | > Basically, you want to get the Debian
> packaging materials, then replace the R version with the | > patched tarball, then build. If
> you have never built a deb package before, this is a learning & | > testing process for you,
> but basically, get the R packaging source: | > | > apt-get source r-base | > | > Second, get
> the R-patched tarball, then Third, Copy the debian folder inside the source folder | > to the
> R-patched folder. Then you may have to fiddle the debian/changelog file to make it match | >
> the source. Then use the package  builder. | > | > That's an involved process. I should
> probably have written "if you have not built a package | > before, quit now and wait for an
> official R release." | > | > pj | > | > On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Marius Hofert
> <marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch> wrote: | >> | >> | >> Michael Rutter <mar36 at psu.edu> writes: | >>
>  | >>> On 09/22/2012 12:54 PM, Marius Hofert wrote: | >>>> Hi, | >>>> | >>>> I would like to
> upgrade R-2.15.1 to R-2.15.1 patched (under Ubuntu 12.04). What's the | >>>> recommended way to
> do so? | >>>> | >>>> I did the following steps for installing R under Ubuntu 12.04 (as far as I
> remember, Dirk | >>>> Eddelbuettel recommended this and helped me on several occasions with the
> installation): | >>>> | >>>> 1) sudo emacs /etc/apt/sources.list 2) add: deb
> http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/bin/linux/ubuntu | >>>> precise/ 3) do: gpg --keyserver
> keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key E084DAB9 gpg -a --export | >>>> E084DAB9 | sudo apt-key add -
> 4) do: sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install r-base | >>>> | >>>> Cheers, | >>>> | >>>>
> Marius | >>> | >>> Marius, | >>> | >>> That should work.  Not sure what you mean by "patched"
> however.  Is there something in | >>> particular you are hoping to get from the CRAN version of
> R for Ubuntu? | >>> | >>> Michael | >> | >> Dear Michael, | >> | >> thanks for helping. The
> above steps only work for installing R-2.15.1 (from June), but how | >> can I obtain the latest
> patched version? In the patched version, a couple of bugs were fixed, | >> one of which affects
> me, that's why I would like to install the patched version. I used to | >> install R from
> source, but I remember that Dirk did not recommend this (I had some troubles | >> while doing
> so), so I was hoping that there is an "easy" (like the above) way to install the | >> patched
> version. | >> | >> Cheers, | >> | >> Marius | >> | >>

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44