[R-sig-Debian] How to set symbolic link correctly so that LaTeX finds Sweave?

Marius Hofert marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Fri May 25 19:28:00 CEST 2012

On 05/25/2012 07:19 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Marius,
>
> I don't mean to brush you off here but this thread no longer has anything to
> do with 'R on Debian'.  I can recommend the http://askubuntu.com site for
> generic Ubuntu questions, and there is also http://tex.stackexchange.com for
> latex questions.
yes, okay.

> Now:
>
> On 25 May 2012 at 18:57, Marius Hofert wrote:
> |>   'r-base-dev' should give you everything you need to use CRAN; the build-dep
> |>   are only needed if you build R from source, which you should not have to.
> |
> | Martin Maechler suggested it at some point (we develop "copula") -- not
> | sure anymore why.
>
> I recall talking about related issues with him years ago. There may have been
> a depends missing in r-base-dev.

yes, I just can't remember what it was again.
>    In any event, the build-deps don't hurt :)
okay, good to know.

> | In principle, I agree. However, there are certain things that are simply
> | not possible with older versions of software packages (due to
> | org-contacts for example, I need emacs-snapshot).
>
> I also used emacs-snapshot (pre emacs-23 I think) and you will be pleased to
> learn more about so-called PPA ("personal package archives") on Launchpad.
ahh, that's what the PPA stands for. Makes sense, typically one sees
real-person's names thereafter.

Something which bothered me (completely off-topic now): Ubuntu Software
Center removed (!) Emacs 24 (and said that it is not well-maintained in
comparison to Emacs 23...). I couldn't run Gnus anymore... so I
reinstalled emacs snapshot and from now on I do all updates in the
terminal (sudo apt-get update... that does not seem to remove emacs
snapshot :-) )

> am fairly certain you can get emacs-snapshot there too -- I have a bunch of
> repos added, just how CRAN / his PPA give us current R binary packages
> (thanks to the work of Michael who rebuilds my Debian packages).
this is what I used:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cassou/emacs
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install emacs-snapshot

> In short, you really only need to manually rebuild obscure packages. For
> other, apt-get rules.

yes, that's what someone told me, too: stick to the package manager as
often as you can, it saves you trouble on updates etc.

> And lastly, you're stretching the argument somewhat by mentioning that you
> need emacs-snapshot when I ask why you replaced texlive ....
complicated Koma-Script-biblatex stuf...

> | Something I don't understand: I specified Sweave.sty (via the link) from
> | the 2009 basic TeXLive installation and it still did not work... (that's
> | why I wasn't sure I installed R/TeX correctly and that's why I gave the
> | information above).
>
> That is now entirely a Tex / Latex / texlive issue.  You may have to go
> somewhere else.  I looked into this almost 20 years when I still mod'ed style
> files etc and wanted the path automated.  "Normally" your best bet is a
> simple folder under /usr/local -- check the texhash docs, ask on
> tex.stackexchange.com etc pp.
>
> Good luck, I am sure you will get it sorted out.  But if you could, please
> stop following up on the R-on-Debian-and-Ubuntu list as this is not an R
> issue anymore.
okay, good, thanks for helping, Dirk.

Cheers,

Marius