[R-sig-Debian] [Rd] Multiple sub-architecture: linking issue

Renaud Gaujoux renaud at mancala.cbio.uct.ac.za
Tue Jun 12 16:12:53 CEST 2012

On 12/06/2012 16:03, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Because INSTALL can be used on directories and that won't work, because the installation will modify the content so you can't run it twice. Technically, it would work on tar balls, and I think there is now --merge-multiarch that will do it. I suspect that the reason to not make it default is that it takes twice as long so it is a bit annoying if you are installing in the development process (but that's just a guess).
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Understood. I guess it would be possible (nice) to detect such special
case where INSTALL is a directory.

I used install.packages('RCurl', libs_only=TRUE) to install RCurl from
CRAN from the 64 bit R session after installing it on the 32 bit, and it
worked perfectly.

I would say that when a user/admin installs a package she expects it to
be available in all its R installations.
So to me it looks like package installations from anything except
directories (repositories, tar balls) could be rather assumed to be
multiarch installs by default, with the option of choosing a single
architecture. This "install all" behaviour could possible be enabled
with an option, for backward compatibility.

Renaud