[R-sig-Debian] python-rpy DEB broken - but hopefully easy to fix

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Tue Jul 17 15:31:57 CEST 2012

On 07/17/2012 09:16 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 17 July 2012 at 12:37, Tim Booth wrote:
> | Hi CRAN people,
> |
> | There is an issue with python-rpy on Ubuntu, when installed from the
> | CRAN repository. (I read the info on
> | http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ and saw the note that this
> | package is experimental but you are happy to receive feedback on it.)
> | After adding the appropriate CRAN repo:
> |
> | % sudo apt-get install python-rpy
> | [ ... installs various dependencies ... ]
> | % echo import rpy | python
> | RuntimeError: No module named _rpy2151
> |
> |       RPy module can not be imported. Please check if your rpy
> |       installation supports R 2.15.1. If you have multiple R versions
> |       installed, you may need to set RHOME before importing rpy. For
> |       example:
> |
> |       >>> from rpy_options import set_options
> |       >>> set_options(RHOME='c:/progra~1/r/rw2011/')
> |       >>> from rpy import *
> |

> | This is simply because the module needs recompiling with each new R release:
> |
> | % apt-get -b source python-rpy
> | % sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>
> Yes, there is code in the package which hardcodes the then-current
> version. It is a pretty brain-dead scheme as it forces a rebuild on
> major.minor changes.
>
> | And it all works fine.
> |
> | Would it be possible to get this module rebuilt automatically in line
> | with new releases of r-base-core?  Right now I have to hold back updates
>
> Your maintainer is guilty as charged. This time I simply forgot to rebuild rpy.
>
> Dirk

I went ahead an rebuilt the rpy packages on my PPA
(https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/rrutter), so updates for
Ubuntu should soon be appearing on CRAN as well.  Confirmed that the new
builds work fine, at least on 12.04.

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College