[R-sig-Debian] cannot find -lquadmath

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jan 15 18:59:39 CET 2012

On 15 January 2012 at 12:11, Peter Muhlberger wrote:
| Hi Dirk:
|
| What would commenting out  -lquadmath in  /etc/R/Makeconf do?  If a

Iff it got there because R was conf'ed that way at _its_ buildtime yet the
compiler on the system _running the Hmisc build_ (ie your box) doesn't need
it, then commenting out would remove an unnecessary constraint.

| package, such as Hmisc, requires it, wouldn't that prevent compiling
| or does the compiler then do more of a search for the library at that
| point?
|
| I wonder if I could have prevented this problem by pulling in a newer
| version of R from backports rather than sid?

I have no idea as I don't have the issue on my systems. I don't mix and mix
between distro variants. If I need something, I tend to build a local .deb.

Dirk

| Peter
|
| On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
| >
| > Hi Peter,
| >
| > On 13 January 2012 at 16:01, Peter Muhlberger wrote:
| > | Hi Dirk:
| > |
| > | I checked several months of r-sig-debian archives for a keyword
| > | associated with my problem & found nothing.  Clearly, I used the wrong
| > | keyword (probably "libquad").  Now that you mention that there was a
| > | recent discussion, I can see it, and it's helpful.  Wish I knew of a
| > | way to do a better search on the archive.
| >
| > Yes, sorry, and it was more or less timing issue. You and the other poster
| > were pretty hit at the same time.
| > |
| > | I thought my experience might be helpful because I have a fairly
| > | plain-vanilla version of Squeeze and build-essentials.  I gather from
| > | the prior discussion on Jan 12 that my problem is that I updated my
| > | copy of R using the sid archive (had to to use the sem package), so
| > | now when I build it's probably expecting a more recent compiler setup.
| >
| > Right. That "gap" between sid and squeeze is usually non-existent, and I have
| > also at times done a pick and choose.
| >
| > In this case, though, it seems that there is a compiler change and the two
| > are different.
| >
| > You could try editing /etc/R/Makeconf and just comment out -lquadmath.
| >
| > Dirk
| >
| > |  So maybe my problem is more esoteric than I imagined.  It does seem
| > | complicated to be a R user in Squeeze.
| > |
| > | It's also helpful to know that there are binaries for things like
| > | Hmisc in the archives.
| > |
| > | Thanks in general for tackling the inclusion of R in Debian!
| > |
| > | Cheers,
| > | Peter
| > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > --
| > "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too
| > dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx