[R-sig-Debian] Problem updating packages in 2.15.1 on Ubuntu 12.04: updating options

Chris Evans chrishold at psyctc.org
Tue Aug 7 21:17:07 CEST 2012

Really odd to know what to say to this Paul, always a challenge to know
how to mix the personal/human and the technological on techno lists.

Well, I'm way too old to be a boy scout.  I've been using R for about 13
years I think, S+ before that, SAS and SPSS (ugh) before that.  About 25
years ago I wrote my own little stats package in dBaseII on a CP/M
"portable".  I've used Linux, including compiling programs and kernels,
for about 15 years but I don't pretend to be great programmer.  I'm just
trying to use update.packages() on top of a main install from the superb
Ubuntu repositories and don't really understand what's happening.

Next time I'll simply ask:
"Does anyone else try to do this?"
"If so, do you get the same or different results?"
"If different, am I doing something differently or wrongly?"

I'll return to the issues when I get back from a much needed week off!

Thanks to you and all,

Paul Johnson sent the following  at 06/08/12 06:06: